FAILED on emissions

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Advanture Magazine
80-90 Mem No: 0

FAILED on emissions

Post by Advanture Magazine »

Just had my ITV (MOT) in Spain and failed the emissions test. Not quite sure where to start with this, other than visiting a garage. But what would they start with? Any and all advice is greatly welcome.

1990 1.6 JX
246k km / 152k miles
Just did oil and air service

Many thanks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: FAILED on emissions

Post by Aidan »

What were the results and what are the standards that apply in Spain.

Over here emmission testing for old diesels has actually become subjectively less stringent but in Spain it maybe more stringent than when the vehicles were new.

Knowing what the results are will help determine likely causes

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Drive it very hard for and hour, get the engine as hot as possible, take it back for re test

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I assume they measure smoke opacity on near full throttle or just releasing from full throttle. They do it like this here and also in Germany, so I assume it is EU standard measurement.

As I wrote on FB:
Temporary solution would be turning out the full load screw on the injetcion pump in quarter increments until you cannot see smoke on full throttle and turn back to previous position after ITV.
More permanent fix would be having the injectors and the injection pump tested and calibrated by a diesel shop and set the timing to around 1mm piston movement at TDC. In this case it might worth to do a compression test too to see how worn your engine is.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th