Mercedes ML Tyres

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kathyshack
80-90 Mem No: 1242

Mercedes ML Tyres

Post by kathyshack »

Hello,
I've asked this before, but because i couldn't afford them at the time, I've lost the info. I have some Mercedes ML's I bought last year, and now think I should be able to afford to actually fit them! :D
What size tyres do i need to put on them so the speedo isn't out? Gonna see if I can get some part worns to try and keep it cheap....
Thanks,
kathy
Member no: 1242

Learning something new every day!

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

www.funplace2b.co.uk/camp

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

Not sure of the size....
But Part worns or try Colway Remoulds from:

http://www.sowdentyres.co.uk/

:)

dubsta
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by dubsta »

Kathy - I have these wheels ( with some sexy centre caps - wot I made :lol: )

I put 215x60x16 on, I think you could also put 205x60x16 on too - I went for the slightly wider as they were higher rated - for the weight.

Ben

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

Ah yeah, cheers Ben!
Did you put new tyres on?
I remember those sexy centre caps you made. WIll no doubt ask you how you made em again at some point. I've just been looking on the old board for details, but its all gone now :(

I checked thsi before, but just to double check to be on the safe side.... I have only got 4 of these wheels, if I were to get a puncture, my current spare (standard steel) would do till I got it fixed wouldn't it?

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

Any advice for buying part worns? what type of thread should I be looking for etc? Its all a bit confusing to me if i'm honest. Presumably i take the wheels and get the tyres fitted and balanced, then I take em somewhere to get them fitted....
Kathy ;-)

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Hi Kathy,hope all's well.

"Any advice for buying part worns?" be carefull when you fit them that they go in the right place ... some cars wear tyres strangely and leave a slope across the tread depending on the castor/camber of the donor car. Get them on the wrong way and your van may try to go in circles in the wet or on snow and ice. I had this when I put some P/W off a company Carlton on our Granada years back. Now I'd be inclined to save up a bit more a go down the new or quality remould route.

Cheers,Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

Hi Ian,
Mmm, you might have a point there. Remoulds are recylced old tyres re-moulded? Need to do some pricing up really. How much cheaper do remoulds tend to be over new tyres? I'm getting my wheels put on for Christmas hopefully, before baby comes along and takes up all spare cash! :)

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

member 1168

sixsprings
80-90 Mem No: 15083

Post by sixsprings »

kathyshack wrote: if I were to get a puncture, my current spare (standard steel) would do till I got it fixed wouldn't it?

yes of course. :D

you'll need tyres with the same diameter as the originals.
see here for what'll fit
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

like ian says...i wouldn't buy partworn..you'll buy them, you'll have to have them fitted, balanced, valves, etc. all this is included in the price of new, and you'll be safer, and they'll last longer, obviously. shop around..invest a bit...all your steering, braking, cornering and accelerating is done on tyres, is around £250 really too much? :D
less for remoulds..nothing wrong with remoulds, they have to go through stringent quality control at the factory to be legally on sale in the EU, not so part worn.

i've had both 215/65/15 and 205/65/15 on my campers on 7x15, and they transformed both the handling & comfort. :D

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

still looking into tyre options and pricing up getting them all fitted and stuff. Does anyone know, who has fitted these themselves, whether you need 2 x 10mm spacers or 4?

Also if you buy tyres off the internet, how do you guys fit them to your actual wheels, do you then take em to a garage and pay to get them fitted and balanced?

just trying to work out pricing and logistics etc...

Thanks in advance
Kathy

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

dubsta

Post by dubsta »

Kathy you need 10mm spacers all round - so yes - 4.

Bought my tyres from mytres.com.

took tyres + wheels to a tyre place had them fitted and balanced (get them to use 'invisible' weights - doesn't spoil the look of the wheels. Cost me £20.

Went to Brickwerks / SJBaxter for fitting wheels - was really glad I did, for safetys sake and the fact that longer studs were a real pain to fit - would recommend you got Simon to fit them - he has all the bits there and knows what he's doing too.

Ben

Just found this Kathy - might help for pricing http://194.242.159.246/brickyard/forum/ ... =ml+spacer

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

cheers Ben.
I've spoken to simon about fitting them yeah.
Looked at www.tyres.co.uk I presume this si the site you meant, as the .com was in australia.

There are lots of options of tyres. I put in summer/all year 215x60x16 as an option, and the results varied a lot in price. Is it wrong to go for the cheapest ones? They vary from 36 quid a tyre to £90+..... will summer ones be alright all year round? although most of my driving is in summer anyway....
do they need to be reinforced or commercial?
which ones did you go for, can you remember?
Last edited by kathyshack on 02 Dec 2005, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

kathyshack

Post by kathyshack »

oh as another thought, shoul di be looking what type of tyre is on my spare wheel, radial or the other?.... that way if i have a puncture all tyres will be same?

www.funplace2b.co.uk/vw

dubsta

Post by dubsta »

I went for Continental EcoContact CP 215/60 R16 99H RF - they were £300 for the four - not cheap - but really good tyres - reienforced - correct load rating and saving over a £100 on what you'd pay normally. form http://www.mytyres.co.uk I think there meant for them 'orrible chelsea tractors - which are heavy. I also think they'll last.

For my spare we just kept the best of the ones I took off.

I think the mixing radial crossply thing is something I remember on a government saftey ad from when I was a kid - dunno if the problem still exists :?

sixsprings
80-90 Mem No: 15083

Post by sixsprings »

kathyshack wrote: Is it wrong to go for the cheapest ones? They vary from 36 quid a tyre to £90?

the more you pay the better they'll be, to a point. all will be ok, some will last longer, grip better. i also have continentals..and am delighted

kathyshack wrote:will summer ones be alright all year round?

for all but a few days a year. or all year if you get no snow. if you buy winter ones, or m+s, they'll not work so well for all 360 other days.

kathyshack wrote: do they need to be reinforced or commercial?

either.. commercial would be better, but if the reinforced say 750kg max load, than they'll be fine.

hope that helps.