Stuck in 4th Gear - Slowly falling out of love with the van.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

adhoc1979
80-90 Mem No: 0

Stuck in 4th Gear - Slowly falling out of love with the van.

Post by adhoc1979 »

Advice required please,

Threw a tantrum and kicked the van in a very Basil Fawlty type manner yesterday. After several weeks of grief, and maintenance, and constant love and attention,( oh and shed loads of money) the van has been running like a dream and I have had a very happy wife. That was until my wife phones to say its stuck in 4th gear!!!!! Luckily she managed to drive the van as normal to her work where it is currently parked. That van will be the death of me!!! Clutch is fine, master and slave cylinders all ok, no fluid leaks. No grinding and painful sounds coming from gearbox. Van moves in the normal way when releasing the clutch pedal. But gearstick feels like its seized. Hoping its just the linkage somewhere. If its the box, we will be doing loads of camping in the driveway this year. She is a 1.9 DG Watercooled with 4 speed box.

Mk2Tony
80-90 Mem No: 13793

Re: Stuck in 4th Gear - Slowly falling out of love with the van.

Post by Mk2Tony »

I would just get it home, get it jacked up or on ramps and check the entire linkage from front to back, it could be something really simple and cheap to fix. Don't give up on it just yet!

Tony
T25 2L Aircooled Devon Moonraker 1981 "General Custard"

Tony, Rox & Pixie

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

A trouble free van and a happy wife - not asking much, are you??? Remember, if it all gets a bit too much, you're not compelled to keep them both :rofl
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Probably linkage come undone at the rear. You can soon check.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

indeed...
it's not a drama yet :roll:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

diagnosis is disconect the linkage from the box where the ball sits in the socket. There are two bolts to undo and the linkage will lower down (note where the plate bolts to the gearbox as it can be bolted on either side but one side will restrict the throw) Once that's out of the way you can manually move the selector on the gearbox. Front to back and in and out will select the gears. If it selects without the linkage attached then the linkage (or more likely the front gear lever) has an issue. If the selector on the box wont move then it's likely the gear box needs attention. Assuming that when clutch is depressed the van can be pushed as though it's in neutral, I am guessing that it can be if you can start it without stalling.
member 1168

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

...and if its any consolation I think all of us have had that feeling of wanting to throw the towel in but don't forget, things wear out on an old vehicle. There does come a point though where you nail the niggles and reliability is once more restored - along with the grin.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

If the rearmost bush (the one on the side of the transmission) is worn out then the ball on the lever (sticking out the side of the transmission) can climb out of the top of the cup and lock the whole mechanism.
Got stuck in reverse like that once, just as I had pulled up at home.
T3 fun!
Remember its a lifestyle choice, its not compulsory ;)

adhoc1979

Post by adhoc1979 »

Thanks guys, going to check tomorrow night when i have some spare time to get underneath. Really appreciate all the help and support. Tillie Anne the van is part of the family now, we couldn't get rid even if we wanted to. Will update you once I have the diagnosis.

adhoc1979

Post by adhoc1979 »

Right then,

Been under the van tonight, checked both the gearbox end and gear stick end of the linkage. It does appear to be the linkage at the rear. The ball keeps coming out of the socket and jams when selecting 2nd and 4th. Could something have fallen off to allow this to happen or has the ball just worn down. :P

Also had the spare wheel out and taken the cover off under the gear stick. Will post some pictures but think something might be missing in there. The only pictures I seem to be able to find online are for the five speed box not the four so if someone could just confirm all present and correct or how the hell have you been managing to drive that, then that would be cool.

I have some photos which I will put up shortly which will hopefully help.

Also what hold the ball in the socket, it looks like there used to be a rubber boot covering it up but to be honest there isn't much left now!!!

Looks like I will be purchasing the kit for gearstick and a new ball, is there anything else I should look out for?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I had that for a while and made a temporary fix that lasted 3 years! You just need cable ties, closed up enough to just stop ball and socket parting company. Wrap a plasticc bag around it to keep muck out if you like. Should keep you going until you have a new bracket & ball.

adhoc1979

Post by adhoc1979 »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/atrhocking/17245880982/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atrhocking/16627423483/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atrhocking/17247631155/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atrhocking/17247075051/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atrhocking/16625166274/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:ok

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Easier to view if you use to bracket each link ;)

adhoc1979

Post by adhoc1979 »

Thanks CovKid, will give it a go. A problem a shared and all that.

Ads1987
80-90 Mem No: 13081

Post by Ads1987 »

I have a four speed box and had a similar scenario with mine but that was in reverse gear.

I replaced the bushes on the linkage because they had play, the part causing the main issue was the ball at the relay. The metal cup was fine, the plastic ball had worn so it could just pop out of the socket.

New plastic ball from brickwerks, make sure you keep the bracket bolted in the same way as it was removed. If you mount it the other way up or the other side of the gearbox mount, it won't work correctly.

Hopefully you can make sense of that?
1982 T25 1.9 DG model with 4 speed box